The life and times of people just like you... and me.

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Bad Buggeroos

Team Gregarious has spent the last five days in the company of a rather nasty stomach flu. I am aware that is not the proper term, but you all know what I mean. Vomit, diarrhea, aches, chills, fever... it's been nasty! Happily, I managed to help my three peeps to the road to recovery before falling victim to the villainous vomit myself. When I did get it, it was comparatively mild to what I watched my son and hubby experience, and I was lucky hubby had the day off and could entertain Little Miss while I rested (and writhed in pain from headache, chills and aching hips and spine... yuck). 

As soon as I thought my stomach could handle it, I made my Recovery Smoothie. This is super-simple, but I swear by it and wanted to share!

Recovery Smoothie
In a blender, combine these ingredients
1/4 C. Plain Yogurt (mine is Greek)
1  Banana
2 tbs. Honey
(a little milk if you would like a thinner smoothie)
1/4 tsp. salt

You may be thinking "Salt???" Yes, salt. You've lost a lot of it. People swear by Gatorade for its electrolytes. What are electrolytes?  Basically, a bunch of minerals, and salt is one. A couple of others are Calcium and Potassium (hence, yogurt and banana!). You also need to get the good bacteria going in your stomach again, and yogurt with live active cultures is perfect for that.

It helped! Yay! It always does (that's why I am sharing)!

Today, both kids got on the bus and the hubby went back to work. I'm loads better, but maybe not 100%. So, Step 2 is a good soak in the tub! I took an Epsom salt bath, but this time, I added 1/2 cup of sea salt. This tip I learned from my friend, Dr. Pamela Grover, who works with Dr. Leila Kirdani at Quality of Life Medicine in Rochester, NY. She said Epsom salt and sea salt baths were great for helping headaches, and I'd certainly had my share of that over the last three days! SO, in went the sea salt, along with the Epsom salt mixed with lavender and orange essential oils.

Ahhhhh...................

It's just an hour later, and I really do feel much better! I ate an English muffin (bland sounded safest) with butter and here I sit... in my underwear while my clothes dry. You know how it is, right? Mom gets sick and all anyone else can do is feed themselves and let everything else pile up. Surely, why would anyone want to do any more of Mom's Job than they have to? She has nothing else in the world to do anyway, right? Uh-huh...

Sigh

And that is why we must recover quickly. Getting buried under housework could mean having to run to the grocery store naked! Thank heavens I freelance from home, if the lack of pants didn't throw a coworker or client, the rollers in my hair most assuredly would.

Stay Healthy, My Friends!






No comments:

Post a Comment